A Request to Offline Renderer Developers
Please allow for rendering out full HDR images with tools in the preview window to edit the exposure settings in real time. It is very useful (and very fun) to take an HDR image and tweak the exposure settings with just a slider bar. Most renderers use HDR data to raytrace the image in the first place, just keep the final render in HDR and re-expose it before displaying the preview window.
I know some renderers like Maxwell allow saving to HDR file formats which is nice, but even cooler would be to have exposure controls right there in the preview window. Tweak away, and when you're satisfied, hit the 'clamp' button and out comes an LDR JPEG. Even cooler would be to be able to adjust the exposure while the raytracer is still going, just something fun to play with while waiting.
Oh, and bonus points for the first person to figure out antialiasing with this feature! Standard, averaged super-sampling doesn't cut it in HDR without clamping and that's what I got stuck on in my ghetto raytracer. I didn't give it too much thought though.
I know some renderers like Maxwell allow saving to HDR file formats which is nice, but even cooler would be to have exposure controls right there in the preview window. Tweak away, and when you're satisfied, hit the 'clamp' button and out comes an LDR JPEG. Even cooler would be to be able to adjust the exposure while the raytracer is still going, just something fun to play with while waiting.
Oh, and bonus points for the first person to figure out antialiasing with this feature! Standard, averaged super-sampling doesn't cut it in HDR without clamping and that's what I got stuck on in my ghetto raytracer. I didn't give it too much thought though.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home